Lesson One – Start Something

We have indeed started something. This is my first year as the head track coach at Woodland and I have been very excited about the accomplishments of our team thus far. So far this season our 8th and 9th grade squads have walked away with several 1st and 2nd overall finishes this year. We have only one our conference track meet left and we are hoping to capitalize on the opportunity that is in front of us and hopefully walk away with a 1st place team finish.

Lesson Two – First Blood

We are now two weeks into our annual fundraiser for Susan G. Komen and we have had a bit of a slow start thus far. However, we do have our first donation on the board! Sarah from 2nd period has put her class into the lead by donating $25. Hopefully Sarah’s donation will carry over into some nice momentum for our fundraiser and cause other classes to step their game up.

Lesson Three – Your Boy, Alfie

Next week we will begin our week of standardized testing for 8th graders. For students, make sure that you are aware of your testing location and the flip schedule days.

Last night I listened to a wonderful lecture about standardized test…however, it was not very positive towards our current testing model. Alfie Kohn put on an excellent show for nearly 2 hours and discussed topics such as testing, homework, and overall best practices in education. It would take me entirely too long to discuss all of the highlights of last night’s lecture and I know I could never do his message justice in one of my silly blog posts. Therefore, I would like to invite you to check out his work. You can visit his website by clicking here. Enjoy.