Lesson One – Dress Your Age

Ahhhh…Finally Friday! It’s been a long week here in Fayetteville, but we have learned some valuable lessons this week so let’s get to it. Recently I shopping and purchased a new pair of shoes. This pair of shoes seemed fairly harmless at the time of purchase but little did I know the ridicule I would receive. These shoes were no ordinary shoes…no not at all, they were apparently  “skater shoes”, very similar to the ones above. When I wore them to school I was quickly confronted by one of my students who said, “that’s are some pretty cool shoes…but why are you wearing them?” I asked, “what’s wrong with them?” To which he replied, “nothing, but someone your age shouldn’t be wearing those unless your a professional skater”.

Now, I realize that I’m fairly immature in character, but I never thought that my dress displayed this same immaturity. Ohhhh little did I know. Apparently a man like myself should start dressing more according to his age (twenty-four). So look out Dillards! It looks like I will be ditching my flannel shirts, Chuck Taylor’s, and v-neck shirts in exchange for ties, pleated slacks, and loafers!

Lesson Two – Goodbye Dome Dogs

Now even though I live in Arkansas, my favorite baseball ball team lives in Minnesota. I have not followed the Twins for long but I have enjoyed my trips to Minnesota and even more I have enjoyed watching them play. There is nothing quite like watching the Minnesota Twins while enjoy a nice Dome Dog. However, it looks like that those days are of the past. With the Twins moving out of the HHH Dome this year and into a new outdoor stadium, it looks like the hot dogs are staying at the dome. An old Minnesota tradition will be no more this season as the Twins will not renew their contract with Hormel (producing company). So adiós Dome Dogs…it was good while it lasted.

Lesson Three – Student Bloggers

Recently I added a new component to our class blog. I added a total of 9 student contributors to blog, so far to this point they have posted several insightful writing prompt activities to our blog. These post have not gone unnoticed, on Wednesday they posted their 2 blog post to the class blog and received several comments from visitors. My students have really appreciated the comments that have came in to this point and look forward to hearing from their audience in the future. If you would like to check out their work, simply find the “categories” button to the left of the page and select “student entry” to see a full list of blog post by my student contributors.

Mr. McClung

3 thoughts on “Lessons Learned”

1. In regards to your clothing sense, I see nothing wrong with dressing how you want. Don’t let the young whipper-snappers tell you what you can and can’t wear.

I love these weekly reflections, you should cross post them on the At the Teacher’s Desk blog.

2. Mr. McClung, I would like to be the first to say, that your dress is not immature. in fact I think it gives you a fun kind of Charater. You do not look like some mean teacher that everyone talks about behind there back….not that we do that:)