Lesson One – Questionable Camera Usage

DSC00814As stated before, earlier this week we held our annual world language festival here at Woodland Jr. High. For this event I leased my camera out to one of my students (Lafayette) so that he could capture all the action that was the world language festival. The following day, I checked out my camera to see what great pictures were caught on camera and I found great pictures accompanied with pictures like the one above…and not just one or two, but tons of pictures that included Lafayette in various poses in my room along with random pictures of objects in my room. Lesson learned, Laf can not be trusted with a camera.

Lesson Two – Dress Out For PE

DSC00819For those not aware, I do teach one physical education in addition to science and social studies classes. Usually I when I show up to PE I show up wearing my gym clothes ready to play. However, today I decided not to dress out…and I suffered the consequences. I was playing a game with called oshka, which consist of lots of jumping. I went for a jump towards another student and I immediately went into the the splits and so did my pants. Does anyone have a grandma that sews?

Lesson Three – There’s an App For That…Coming Soon

As if I needed another time waster…After suggestions from my students and the obvious observation that my students are constantly connected to their iPod or iPhone, this week I decided to take on the task of creating an app for our class blog. Students use their phones and iPods to access the internet throughout the day, sometimes more than computers, so why not an app? The whole goal of blogging (to me) is to extend the classroom beyond the physical classroom and provide that opportunity to be “connected”. With the percentage of students who are using apps on a daily basis I feel like this is a way to provide that opportunity to be connected. Just he mention of of creating this app peaked the interest of many of my students and resulted in many outburst of “I’d buy that!”

The website that I’m using to develop this app is called Insites. Insites provides a very user friendly service that allows you to create your own app for only25 dollars. I would highly recommend this website to anyone that is in interested in creating their own app, and more updates to come on the progress of this app process.

Mr. McClung

2 thoughts on “Lesson Learned”

1. Hello there! My name is Lauren and I am taking a course at the University of South Alabama, EDM 310. I was required to read your post on Dress out for PE. I think the Lessons Learned category of your blog is a humorous approach to an educational blog. There are not many possible comments for me to leave you; except, DRESS OUT EVERY DAY! : )

2. On the contrary!! How funny is that picture?! Laf should not only be trusted with a camera, but should be offered a job as a photographer for the school newspaper! Maybe next time let several students take several cameras and then there will be enough pics for what you actually need them for. I’m reading your blog for an assignment from the University of South Alabama, and I hope to come back to see some more lessons you’re learned along the way 🙂 You can check out our class blog at edm310.blogspot.com and my personal blog for the class at longeneckerhollyedm310.blogspot.com