Lesson One – Mythbusters Fund

DSC00835There is nothing quite like movie day in school…but if your anything like me you tend to shy away from the library collection of films because, let’s be honest, most educational science films are boring. In my science classes we solve this solution by watching Mythbusters and this past week we have watched a couple of episodes that relate well to our study of sound. One day I made the off handed comment to one of my students that these Mythbusters episodes cost $2 on iTunes. My students quickly suggested that we start a Mythbuster fund to pay for these episodes…so we did. So far my students have payed about $10 to this fund when has payed for our Mythbusting habit and helps ensure that there will be plenty of movie days in the future.

Lesson Two – The Number 7

This week Forbes Magazine named Fayetteville the number 7 best college sports town in America. Their criteria for how they ranked the towns in their list were based on crime rate, education system, cost of living, and over all success of the athletic program. I know we didn’t need Forbes to tell us how great our city is but it’s still nice to receive the recognition.

Lesson Three – NSBA Technology Visit

GMJUDBDAZEZGSFUVBBLHAs some of you may know, this coming Sunday and Monday are going to be pretty big days for myself and my students. Fayetteville Schools will be hosting the National School Boards Association as apart of their technology visit to our district. Various administrators and teachers from around the country will be focusing on how our district utilizes technology into our everyday instruction. For myself, this means that I will be showcasing our classblog along with a variety of examples of student work. We have been preparing all week for this event and I have even started a voicethread asking for input from educators on what it is they value about blogging. Needless to say I’m very excited about having the opportunity to showcase the technology tools that we use in class and looking forward to promoting educational blogging.