With the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure just 6 weeks away, it’s time to start talking about fundraisers, t-shirts, and hair styles. That’s right, it’s time for our annually fundraiser. Each spring I organize a spring fundraiser for my students in which all proceeds go to the Komen Foundation.

For this fundraiser I like to a unique spin on how it is conducted. First of all we turn it into a class competition to see how much each one of my classes can raise for this foundation. On the week of the actually Komen for the Cure event, I crown a winner of the contest…and the winning class gets the opportunity to shave my head during class. However, this doesn’t happen until the end of April…so let me back up a little bit.

Before any money is donated and before any battle lines are drawn between classes, we must get to the business of developing our fundraiser t-shirt. Because we all know that any worthwhile fundraiser must have an awesome t-shirt. This year I’ve decided turn the designing of the t-shirt to my students. We will hold a design contest with students submitting entries that will be voted on at the end of this week. Here are the guidelines…

• Must include the following components:
    • Mr. McClung’s Class (team name), WJHS, and Race for the Cure
  • No narwhals or other “weird” creatures…they’re a little played out
  • Entries must be in by Thursday of this week

As we move closer to the date of the race, I will release more information on how everyone can get involve. So in the meantime, focus on coming up with a great t-shirt design.

Mr. McClung