Lesson One – Media Coverage

KNWA LogoYesterday I was contacted by our front office and told that a reporting from KNWA (local news station) wanted to speak to me about our current fundraiser. Right now we have 7 days left in our fundraiser and have raised $1,140 so far. When I called the news station I spoke to local reporter Tom Yazwinski and he informed me that he would like to do a story about our fundraiser and be present on the Day of the Shave coming up next Friday. This is HUGE for us here in my classroom and furthermore this gives us an opportunity to really show-out by posting a huge fundraising number. I’m issuing a challenge to all students to exceed our goal of $2,000 so that when we make our appearance on the news it will really be impressive. I will be dropping more updates as we get closer to the culmination of our fundraiser.

Lesson Two – Blackout

DSC01092Our t-shirts for the Race for the Cure cam in yesterday and this has caused quite a bit of excitement for our students. Today a large majority of my students will be wearing their newly printed Race for the Cure t-shirts, giving my room the appearance of a blackout…like you would see at a sporting event. While there will be quite a few shirts in a effect today, I’m calling for all 100 students that ordered shirts to help me in a blackout on April 29th, the Day of the Shave and the day before the Race for the Cure.

Lesson Three – Write About It

This week you will start to see many blog post appear on our website that were not written by me. This week my students have been working on a project which requires them to research Jim Crow Supreme Court cases and write a blog post about the court case and the law that it established/upheld/abolished. These blog post will also include a Prezi embedded into the post that is used as a visual to support their writing. If you happen to stumble across one of these post, drop my students a comment…they’ll be glad to hear from you.