Lesson One – Picture This

Little-Rock-mainThis week we have been talking quite a bit about Little Rock Central High School and the Little Rock Nine Crisis. One thing that I’ve noticed in the time that we have been discussing this important part of Arkansas history is that majority of my students have very little knowledge about the crisis or even know what the school itself looks like. One thing that I want my students to understand about this part of history is they were just fighting over attending any school…this was THE school to attend in Little Rock. I explained to my students that after Central was built it was seen as a prize possession for the people in the community and that is a major reason that so many people pushed back against the nine African American students that wanted to attend school at Central.

Lesson Two – Losing My Edge

This week I was reminded that of the fact that I’m no longer as young as I use to be…I’m usually pretty confident in my physical abilities and would consider myself to be athleticish. However, this week was taken down a few notches after one of my students dominated me in a push-up contest. After the contest there was a little bit of pain and tightness in my chest from doing 40 some odd push-ups, but this pain was nothing compared to my bruised ego. Needless to say, I will be hitting the gym everyday until the end of the school year and working on my push-ups daily.

Lesson Three – Weekly Ten Dominance

chart_1-2This entire year we have been using a new type of formative assessment in my class called the Weekly Ten. The Weekly Ten is basically a quiz that is not taken for a grade and my classes compete with each other each week to see which class and out perform the next…and this semester that out performing class has been my homeroom (2nd period) class. They have had the top Weekly Ten score for 13 straight weeks, holy cow.

Lesson Four – Memorial Day

memorial_day1_1600x1200We will not be in school on Monday because of the Memorial Day Holiday. This will give us a well deserved three day weekend and hopefully we will be able to charge our batteries a bit before we start finals June 7th. Have a great break everyone.

Mr. McClung