Monday in our AVID class, we took some time to talk about college and admission to college. Students started out the period by brainstorming about what they already know about the requirements for college and then we discussed the various types of prep and admission tests for college. Students were given one of five college prep tests and asked to review their given test. After students were familiar with their test they were then given a game called “find somebody”. In this game students move around the room looking for students that have answers to their questions about the various college admission tests. At the end of the day this was a very worthwhile activity as many of the students acquired knowledge about the process of applying to college.

3 thoughts on “Find Somebody”

1. Hello everyone! My name is Tricia Spafford. I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama.
    I am learning about technology in the classroom.
    This post is great! I love how you have begun the thinking process toward college admission. Most 7/8 graders do not consider this a part of their realm. I could hear them say,”I haven’t even gone to high school yet.” Your students had the opportunity to explore one aspect of college admission that can be overwhelming and frustrating. I know because my son is a senior and I also have a junior. I think the game “find somebody” is very useful and fun. The information they discover will always benefit them. Someday they will thank you.
    Thank you for the post.

2. Hello! My name is Greta Miller. I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama. I would also give 8th graders important information on technical and vocational schools. Not all of your students are college material just so they know there is other options out there for them.

3. Hello,
    My name is Larry McMillan. I’m currently a student in the EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama. This was a great idea to get information on colleges. I would say personally its never to late to stop and think about your future. Thank you for your blog post.