Some time ago I made a commitment to my dear friend Mr. Lamshed that I would join in his efforts to support cancer research. As I’ve stated before, Mr. Lamshed and his students participate in an annual event called Clippers for Cancer. During this event his students raise money for the McGuinness McDermott Foundation for childhood cancer research. Inspired by the efforts of Mr. Lamshed and the work of his students, I have too decided to get involved with a charitable organization for the second year in a row.
Susan G. Komen for the Cure is a foundation that is dedicated to breast cancer research and serves as the largest breast cancer research foundation in the world. All over the US this foundation holds regional events called “Race for the Cure” in which people turn out to show support for this foundation and raise boat loads of money that support breast cancer research. Our class will be joining the many that support this cause by creating a team for the Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure event that will be coming up April 28th.
Anyone can create a team for this event and raise money, I have created a team under the name of “Mr. McClung’s Class”. The idea is to recruit as many members as possible and collect as many donations as possible. How do you do this? Very simple…
- Visit our team page at :mcclung
- Find the button located to the right of the page that says “Join Team”
- Register yourself and choose an event to take part in
- The events include a 5k race, self timed walk, bark for a cure, etc…
- Can’t make it to the race, but still want to be on our team?
- There is an event called “sleep in for a cure”, you can join this event and make a $25 donation without even showing up
- Don’t wanna join the team but you want to help out?
- Not a problem, there is also a button located on the right side of the paged labeled “Donate to This Team”, There you can donate your desired amount to our team
Based on the success of last years fundraiser for Komen for The Cure, I have set a fundraising goal of $2,500 for my class…which is a goal that I think we will be able to achieve. Oh yeah, there is one more thing I forgot to mention…head shavings. Each year I use this fundraiser as a chance to create a class competition among my students. The class that raises the highest amount of money for the race will get the opportunity to shave my head during class. Quite a prize huh? I will also be asking my male students to join me in head shaving excitement to raise awareness for this cause, and the ladies will be going pink as they will be ditching the clippers and opting for pink hair dye.