Yesterday in class we began our conversations about imperialism and the scramble for Africa. We talked about the rise of kingdoms in Africa and how Africa became such a huge center for trade and commerce…now for today we talk about the imperialistic grab for land and resources in Africa.

Today in class we will begin class by looking at political cartoons from past and present in regards to the ever ongoing scramble for Africa.

Mr. McClung

3 thoughts on “The Scramble for Africa”

1. Hey! My name is Hillary Parmer, and I’m an EDM310 student at the University of South Alabama. I think it is great that your class is learning about Africa, its history and its present day issues. The political cartoons you picked are great representations and examples of what your class is learning! Whenever I was in middle school and high school, my teachers always had the class to look at political cartoons and discuss what we thought they meant. It was a fun part of history class!

2. Hello,

My name is Jason Jackson. I am a student of EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. The great thing about political cartoons is beneath the satire there is always some element of the truth. It’s too bad that truth is all too often ugly. The fourth and fifth cartoons are familiar to me. I learned how the Eastern world, after World War I, divided Africa amongst themselves for their benefit without any regard to the people of the land. The last picture of President Obama heading towards Libya for oil is very very interesting. To stray slightly away from that, many employees of the local Chevron refinery, Pascagoula, MS, are stationed in African countries with corrupt governments. Chevron cuts deals with these governments to allow for drilling and extraction of the oil, but there is no concern on the part of Chevron for the conditions of the natives or the effectiveness of the government. It is so much of a shame that mysteriousness grows from it.

3. Hi! My name is Brooke Thompson, I am a student at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, Alabama with a major in secondary education social science, and I am currently in Dr. Stange’s class, EDM310. I have always loved geography and Africa is one of the most interesting continents in my opinion. I enjoyed looking at the political cartoons in your post, I have never been very good at interpreting them, but I have always enjoyed trying to figure out what they mean. Thanks for sharing!

Brooke Thompson