Embracing or Tolerating Technology

Over the course of this summer I have had the privilege of visiting a variety of schools across the country. As I visit campuses and have conversations with other educators, I always find it interesting to compare their procedures and practices to that of our own back home, including how technology is utilized. One site that I visited had the decal shown above posted in a variety of locations in their school as a reminder of their zero tolerance policy for cell phone use in the school. This really got me thinking about the mix messages that we must send our students on a daily basis. Schools across the country are pushing out large amounts of Chromebooks and other devices to classrooms and investing in the infrastructure and training to support the implementation. In addition, I believe you would be hard pressed to find an educator who believes that technology should have no place in a school; however, often seems that we (educators) want the technology on our own terms, which may not always reflect best practices.

Gary Vee is one of my favorite producers of online content, who is not an educator. He provides great insights into digital literacy and the influence that technology is having on our everyday lives. In the video above he is making a valid point in how we treat technology with students and often associate negative connotations. Many people believe that the access to content and information via a device can have adverse affects on our youth. The truth is that the current technology wave is too large to ignore and it is larger than anyone’s ideas or philosophies. It is here to stay and we much begin approaching technology in a different manner. As educators, we stand as the front line of educating students on how to properly utilize technology. However, we must ask ourselves if we are tolerating technology or are we embracing it? And the follow up question to that is, what is best for students? Taking emotion out of the equation, on either side, what is going to best set students up for success after they left our classroom? Are we better off to have less technology, more technology, or perhaps find a balance?

While I am a huge advocate for technology in schools, I understand that there is value in components of education that do not require technology. Educators should use the right tool for the job, which does not always mean that a Chromebook can be the panacea for all instructional needs. Ultimately we need to produce students that are well-rounded and ready for a career/life well after their educational career is over. While I do not believe that technology is the only answer, I believe it is a large piece to the puzzle and we (educators) need to prepare students to use it effectively and responsibly.

Joe McClung

Back-to-School Past, Present, & Future

With back-to-school just around the corner, week of 8/14 in Arkansas, I wanted to share some experiences that I have had over the past few weeks. There are often times that we can lose sight of the important aspects of why we entered the profession in the first place. I framed this post around a “ghost of Christmas” theme based on the interactions that I have had with past, present, and future students.

Back-to-School Present

This morning while I was sorting through lockers to determine which ones worked and which ones didn’t, probably one of my least glamorous duties, I discovered the note pictured above in an abandoned locker. It was a bottom locker and the note was tucked away on the very back wall towards the top. Two things stood out to me about this note, the first is that this student spent quite a bit of thought on this note and the second was that the note was only intended to be seen by the person that inherited this particular locker. Nothing over the top, nothing meant for the entire public, but rather intended to convey the particular experience and gratitude that one student experienced to another that is now standing in the same shoes. Furthermore, the cool thing about this note was that it is from a student that is not leaving our building, but rather moving from the 7th to the 8th grade. While the first half of her experience at our school was enjoyable, we hope that we continue to add to her perception of Woodland.

As we prepare for the back-to-school session, it is very easy to get bogged down in the amount of work that needs to be completed before students arrive, the stress that we experience in this time crunch, and other frustrations that we may experience. However, every once in a while you come across reminders of what motivates us to be educators. This note, along with other experiences over the past few weeks, have provided those reminders to me and help me put into perspective my role as an educator. This helps provide me with the necessary fuel to keep working for our students.

Back-to-School Past

Over the past few weeks I have had a series of run-ins with former students. I always feel like I get a lot out of these conversations that I have with students because I enjoy catching up and learning about their current endeavors. One particular interaction I had was with a former student that came to our schedule-up night with a younger family member. It had been about 7 years since I had last seen this student and needless to say that we have both changed over that time period…he had grown upward and I have grown outward. I recognized him right away, greeted him with a hug and started up a conversation. However, just a bit into the conversation he assumed that I didn’t know his name so he said “It’s Braden”, to which I replied “of course!” and replied by calling him by first and last name. His reaction really surprised me as he said “wow, thanks Mr. McClung, that means a lot”. This statement struck me as odd and awesome at the same time. He seemed very appreciative of the fact that he meant enough to me that I would remember his name. It really goes to show how much our connections with students matter, whether it is big or small. The interactions that we have with students may seem minor but they can have an impact that is hard to measure. No matter where I am at, when I encounter a former student, the smile that comes across my face is hard to contain. Whether it be at a car dealership, restaurant, airport, museum, in a pre-service program, sporting event, carnival, or even on vacation, it makes my day to spend time talking to students about where they are currently at in their journey in life. Taking the time to stop and listen to students is so important as an educator and can provide just as in return for the adults as it does for the kids. These are the interactions that are important to keep in mind as we prepare to make our first impressions on students for the 2017-2018 school year.

Back-to-School Future

To bring everything full circle, I will end where I started with the joys of preparing lockers for junior high students. For a task that is very menial, it was pretty amazing that it provided two great experiences for me in one day. Last night was our schedule pick-up night, which is one of my favorite nights of the school year. It is very much like the pre-season of any sporting league; everyone is excited after the off-season, there are new additions to the team, everyone has a new look (hair, clothes, growing up, etc.), and everyone has a chance to win the “big game” because each school year is a new beginning for everyone. One of the parts of the excitement, especially incoming 7th graders, is when students visit their newly assigned locker for the first time. However, there is the occasion when students are assigned a locker that doesn’t work properly or doesn’t quite meet their needs. The note below is from one of those particular families who needed a different locker. So this morning as I weeded through the requests for new lockers, I made the adjustments and notified parents. What I didn’t expect was to have such a positive response from the before mentioned menial task.

Mr. McClung,
Thank you! It may seem like a small thing, but I do believe you’ve worked a miracle in _____’s eyes. ūüôā Appreciate the prompt attention and the help! We are looking forward to an exciting new year in this next chapter for _____. As a parent, it’s always tough to face the reality of these kids growing up. I’m so thankful that the reality includes the environment that is FPS.¬†
This is the type of email that really makes you stop and take notice. It is a reminder of how even our smallest acts of giving can pay major dividends for those that are on the receiving end. As we enter in to the new school year it is important to focus on the aspect of the profession that matter the most, which is our service to students and their families. Our primary focus should always be service and providing the best experience, not just educational experience, for our families.This week has been just what I needed to get my mind right for the new school year. I hope you all have a great start to the year.
Joe McClung

Event Merge for Calendar

One of my favorite aspects of conducting training sessions is that I typically learn so much for the participants in my sessions. On a recent training trip I learned from a participant about an extension in Chrome titled Event Merge for Google Calendar. This extension is designed for users that either manage, or have access to, several different calendars within their organization. The extension merges duplicates events into one event with the color of each respective calendar represented on the event. This is excellent for educators because often times there is the rabbit hole of Google Calendars that exist and can become hard to manage. Try it out and cut down on the clutter that accumulates in your calendar.

Joe McClung

Lessons Learned

It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these…let’s see if I can pick it up where I left off in 2015…

Lesson One –¬†What it Means to Serve

A colleague challenged my thinking this year in how I handle service. I always thought my acts, or what I did for people, is a way for me exemplify service leadership. However, my thought process was changed by thinking about it through the lens of how I serve the people around me. This presented itself to me in the form of a critical question; do I look to lift up those around me to let their talents show or am I looking at it through a more selfish lens and only thinking about how my service actions serve me? A leader should be a person that does not seek acknowledgment for their own actions, but rather how to bring the spotlight towards those that surround him or her. This is my goal and something that I hope to personify. Instead of constantly looking internally as to what accomplishments I have achieved, I need to begin looking externally and determining my own success based on how I help those around me reach their own goals.

Lesson Two – Don’t Stop Learning

“You’re crazy”, “I don’t think I could do that”, “does that really give you an advantage”. These are the typical responses I receive from colleagues when I discuss continuing my education. This year I completed my Ed.S. and will be perusing my Ed.D starting this summer. I was able to accomplish this with very little dialog or acknowledgment among my peers, which I prefer, but the typical response I receive is more of one of disbelief. To me, the thought of calling my education “complete” at the age of 32 does not make the most sense. As educators, we are continually trying to instill in our students the desire to achieve more in school, and I myself am a sucker that has bought into this narrative. Growing up, education was not a priority for my family and never was until I made it one myself when I entered college. As an adult, I find myself more curious than ever and have yet to see my drive to continue my education to ever decrease. I want to continue my educational career in both the formal and informal sense. Once the desire to continually grow and learn has died then what do we have to hang our hats on as educators?

Lesson Three – Talk is Free, Time is Valuable

Building upon Lesson Two, Lesson Three is probably the most valuable takeaway I have from this school year. I’ve learned that goals and ambitions do not come at a discounted rate. This year I have taken on a lot of new endeavors that, while worthwhile, can definitely be described as time suckers. While I enjoy learning and do not enjoy sitting idle for long periods of time, I learned that it’s not just about me, but rather the time that these endeavors take away from the valuable people in my life. New opportunities, work relationships, and projects may seem exciting and have great promise; however, at the end of the day, you have to be able to do a personal inventory on how your time is spent and ensure that an imbalance is not created. The people in your life that matter are willing to make¬†sacrifices when it comes to time, but the people that don’t matter will usually exploit this aspect…be able to discern who is who¬†in your life. Finding the balance is difficult, but I want to be able to say I give my attention and time to those that matter the most in my life.

Lesson Four – Speed Isn’t Everything

I have a bad habit of confusing speed with efficiency. My attention span doesn’t allow for me to sit back on my heels and wait for the appropriate time. This year I have learned that how and when you act or speak, is just as important as what you say. While I may feel eager at times to rush out and share, speak, or lead, this year I have gained a respect for pulling back on the reins. That’s not to say that it is easy for me, but I have gained a respect for it which has given me perspective. I now think about my own leadership through this lens and specifically through my communication with colleagues.

Joe McClung

The Paperless Office

One of the most beneficial, and popular, uses of G Suite among school leaders is leveraging Forms and Sheets in order to move to a paperless office. This can include building paperless referral systems, check in/out systems, and streamlining communication. Embedded above is a Slidedeck that highlights how you can create your own referral system, or paperless system, using G Suite for Education. In addition to the Slidedeck itself, I also wanted to provide a few points to go along with the presentation.

Defining the System

There are essentially two parts to the ground work in preparing to move your system to a paperless system. First of all, you have to have a solid definition of the system and the purpose the electronic service will serve. For the example that I have, we had to first do work in regards to defining discipline for our school. When I first implemented our current system at our school, we began with taking time to line out what discipline is for our school. Meaning, we had to develop our own common language or understandings of how discipline and behaviors are translated in our school. This is an important step because a philosophy and common understanding has to be established first before any meaningful progress can be made.

Build the System

After you have laid the ground work, then it is time to construct your paperless system. Important considerations are making sure that your common language and understandings from your definition phase have to be reflected in your new system. Then once you also have to determine how do the key players fit into the system? If you are building an automated system for referrals, you need to make determinations as to who will be notified without your organization. Using the Sheets Add-on Formmule will help you accomplish this very easily.

Joe McClung

Applications for New Google Sites

The new Google Sites was much anticipated and has provided a much needed face lift to the previously outdated product. While there are still limitations and some functions that have not quite made the transfer, once I was able to fully immersed myself in the new Sites I found myself embracing the new functionalities. With that in mind, I made a short demo to go over some of the basic functionalities of the recent upgrade. I would love to hear your feedback if you have had experience and/or successes with the new Sites.

Joe McClung

Google Keep

keepfeature2One of my favorite apps at the moment is Google Keep. The beauty to Keep that is is a easy tool to use but contains powerful possibilities. Keep is a collaborative note taking tool that serves purposes inside and outside of school. What makes Keep different from other note taking services is the sharing feature that allows you to make collaborative lists between co-workers or even family members. If nothing else, Keep has revolutionized how families are making shopping lists as you can update items in real time, but there are other features that are useful as well for school purposes.

Keep is a good way to make notes during conferences or workshops about ideas or tools that may come from meetings.

It can also be used for gallery works with students, team members, or staff members. In the example above, this is a gallery walk that was completed from a professional development session earlier this school year. Math teachers in my building completed a force field analysis, along with other teachers throughout the district, about how we can improve our curriculum at each grade level and identify potential barriers.

Joe McClung

RTI – The Right Team and Technology

unnamed-image-61The phrase Response to Intervention (RTI) can often cause an educator to respond in a negative way. The RTI process is typically associated with large committees, marathon meetings, and no real product at the end. In my role as an administrator, I wanted to look at ways that we could avoid being a typical committee and make our team more efficient.

Who Needs to be There?

The first thing that we established our team and what purpose it would serve the school. We noticed that there was some room to trim down the amount of committees that we had at our school by incorporating them into one. We realized that our RTI committee and our discipline committees were handling many of the same issues so we decided to combine the two and rename it out Student Success Team (SST). The goal of SST was to not only focus on student needs but also indirectly address some of our school discipline issues by incorporating initiatives that would improve school wide culture by focusing on targeted behavioral goals each quarter and the use of school wide celebrations.  This team became a central part of our staff in helping support students throughout our school. The next step was how to establish who would be involved. For our school we have 6 academic teams (3 for 7th grade and 3 for 8th grade) so each team appointed a representative. The idea is that this representative serves as the point person between SST and their own team for discussion about students and any other item that we might need to address.

Don’t Waste Anyone’s Time

One of the first rules that we established was to get rid of the giant committee. Often when there are too many individuals on one committee the focus tends to shift away from the task at hand. We decided that we would divide into 7th and 8th grade teams so that we could spend more time focusing on students and so that our team were more likely to know all the students involved. In previous RTI committees that I have been apart of, there was a lot of time spent discussing students that not everyone knew so therefore there was little investment on their part to the conversation that was taking place.

The Right Tools

Probably the biggest change that we made to utilize everyone’s time better was streamlining our clerical processes. We used Google Apps to turn our submission process, record keeping, and notification process all digital. We used Google Forms and Sheets to handle our submission and record keep for our students. We also used add-ons, such as Formmule and DocAppender to help us with getting the right information to the right individuals and automating our emails and notifications. We also used hyperlinked Docs to help with our agenda and pre-planning process for any of our upcoming meetings.

The key to having any successful team is how do you move the attention from from the clerical aspect of being a team back to the task at hand. For us technology played a huge role in this process and gave us the tools we needed to help streamline the necessary processes.

Joe McClung

Do More w/ Explore

My favorite feature in Sheets is coming to Docs…the Explore button! The research tool is being replaced with the Explore button and brings some added feature to the table. It has some of the basic search tools that were accessible with the Research tool, but it adds additional features and recommendations to your project. Also, the addition to add your Drive to the search is a big bonus feature as well. This feature may not be available yet in your school domain, but it has been released to personal accounts. Explore will also be coming to Slides along with a total make over for this app as well.

Joe McClung

Documentation Made Easy

documentation-files-1The concept of teaming is great and can produce some outstanding work from educators. However, as we have moved to a PLC type model for our school, I have noticed that keeping track of notes and documentation from our teachers can become a bit of a jumbled mess because many people have their on forms of how they document. My goal was to create on system that the entire school could use for documentation and then separate out the notes to specific people. So using an add-on in Google Forms call docAppender, I was able to achieve this goal.

It is worth noting that there are also additional add-ons in sheets that can help you with your documentation and reporting purposes as well, such as Formmule.

Mr. McClung

Favorite Add-ons for Administrators

630442724927465796There are no shortage of add-ons when it comes to various applications in Google Drive, but there are several add-ons that are my standard “go-tos” for getting work done. I wanted to share 3 of those applications that tend to reoccur as I lead and attend training sessions on a regular basis.

In my opinion, this is the granddaddy of them all. This is the one add-on that I by far use the most. It proves useful for me because it allows me to generate reports via a mail merge that is pulled from a spreadsheet. This can be used in any situation in which you wish to generate an automated report based on a response sheet. For me the most powerful use of this add-on is through the use of integration with our discipline referral system. It allows me to receive automatic referral reports on the fly and allows my teachers to easily fill out an outline form without the hassle of having to keep up with paper referrals or carbon copies. This add-on is also great for generating canned responses or automated replies to any designed email address.

Choice Eliminator

I discovered Choice Eliminator last year but did not immediately find an application for it as an administrator. It wasn’t until this past year that I was saddled with the task of having to create a system for scheduling our parent teacher conferences that I found it’s great use. This add-on is great if you are making any time of appointment and will eliminate time slots from the choice menu as they are selected. This add-on is available in Forms and works with sheets to complete this task. A great companion add-on is the RowCall add-on in Sheets. This add-on is a great companion because it helps you separate out responses onto their own sheet based on the response, e.i. teacher’s name so that they could go to a tab with only their appointment slots. One word of advice I would offer though is to NOT use this with a large group. It is best if you keep it to a smaller group and runs more efficiently.

Attendance Sorter

One of the more recent add-ons that I have discovered is Attendance Sorter. This add-on allows you to keep a running log for attendance that uses conditional formatting to help display attendance in a Sheet. I have found that an useful application of this add-on is keeping track of professional development attendance. Once all names of possible attendees is loaded into a sheet, actual attendance could be done during the PD session by having participants sign-in with a Form and the attendance sorter does the rest. This could also be used for any type of volunteer or other meetings that might be held.

Mr. McClung

Streamlining Discipline

I have been able to use Google Apps to streamline many of the processes that I use on a day to day basis at my job, but probably the most beneficial application of these apps has been through our current discipline system. By utilizing Google Forms, Sheets, and the Formmule Add-on I have been able to go to a paperless system that makes reports readily available. Through the video above I give a quick explanation of how to utilize Formmule with your discipline referral system in order to create automated reports.

The real benefit to using this system is not only the documentation that is created by having a running discipline referral system, but also the reports. The reports help me in my job by being able to keep everyone informed at all times. Depending on what report or action is taken based on the report, I can then notify my attendance secretary, special education designee, upper administration, counselors, in-school suspension supervisors, school resource officer, and anyone else that may have an educational interest in the report. Feel free to check out the video and explore the form that is discussed in the video by clicking on the link below.

Discipline Referral System

Mr. McClung

Simplify Scheduling

One of the tasks that I often have to complete as an administrator is mass scheduling of events…such as basketball or football schedules for everyone in my administrative staff. Although Google Calendar is a very simple tool used for scheduling, when you are adding 20 basketball games to a calendar it can become a bit labor intensive. There is an add-on for Google Sheets called From Sheets to Calendar that can simplify this process. I’ve recorded a short demo of how to use the add-on above, feel free to check it out.

Mr. McClung

Leveraging Social Media as Leaders

When I first started using social media back in 2008 for my classroom, I didn’t really know what I was stepping off into. As a person that attended college during the inception of Facebook, I have had the opportunity to watch social media grow over the years and see all the tools that have been created that help people communicate more and more. I realized pretty early on that the use of blogs and Twitter accounts would be a great way to connect with other educators across the world. However, I have seen that it is a very powerful tool for communicating with parents and students within your own our community. Especially now in my role as an administrator I see that social media accounts are bridging the gap between home and school.

Over the past year, our school has really looked closely at how parents want to be communicated with. What I’ve noticed is that the typical flyer or newsletter format is becoming less desired among parents. From surveys and informal conversations, I’ve noticed that parents are looking for more of a “buffet style” form of communication.¬†What we have found is that parents have varying preferences for receiving information in the modern age that challenge some of our traditional methods. Many of our parents use some type of combination of Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and our website…which even our website is starting to get left behind compared to our other forms of communication.

Woodland Instagram Woodland Twitter

One of the first things I did when I moved to the junior high level as an administrator was I wanted to make social media a priority. A little of a year ago, both our Twitter and Instagram accounts had less than 100 followers apiece. Now our numbers have sky rocketed since I started at my current school last year. Often times, educators have a perception that only teenagers use social media on a daily basis, but so many of our parents connect to the world around them in this way too. These two platforms have become a standard tool of communication home and have had great success disseminating information in this way.

Untitled image (1)

Furthermore, this has become an excellent tool for use when it comes to public relations and building our community. The toughest thing about learning how to leverage social media to your advantage is finding what drives your followers. For instance, the post above was one of our most visited images on Instagram and Twitter as well. Not only did this image collect many “likes”, but it also pulled people in and got them to follow. Each time I post on our social media about athletics, which is a large sense of pride in our school (and many others), I usually gain anywhere from 5-10 new followers. That’s pretty powerful and make a huge impact in a number of ways in your school community.

Joe McClung

Keeping Up

View of states that allow school choice as of May 2015. The map illustrates how trends in education are shifting every year.

Education is rapidly each day and the way that we deliver content is changing constantly as well. It seems that there are always new educational tools/features/content that is coming up that challenges the way that we look at conventional education. This is a topic that I struggle with quite a bit because I believe that it is healthy to challenge status quo and continuously try to improve our systems and functions. However, I do have a vested interested in conventional public school settings; mainly because I work for one and I also believe that, provided the appropriate circumstances, that it is still the best way to complete the task of educating the general public. However, there is one point that is very clear and that is that if we do not continue to adapt as a public education system we will soon be passed by.

For many years public schools have been the gatekeepers to education, by in large…it is no longer this way. Resources and information are now so readily available and the deliver of the content now comes in many different forms. Issues such as charter schools, virtual academies, and vouchers are issues that are starting to slowly keep up on public education and are now poses serious threats to the system that we have in place. So the question becomes, how do we keep up with the consumer demand?

Many people struggle with attending school in a traditional setting for one reason or another, and I get that. I’m a firm believer that the best educational experience for child depends on what setting they thrive in the best. While many people may not like the concepts of charter and virtual schools, the truth is that many parents and students today are weighing the options as to how they want to receive their education and many are exercising their freedom to choose. Regardless of what our own personal opinions are of these topics in education, we need to be responsible for adapting to these shifts in education…and there is plenty of evidence that we are heading in that direction.

For the state of Arkansas, public schools have had the choice of applying to become a conversion charter school with the state department of education. It is very similar to the process that regular charter schools go through to get approved, but it allows schools to receive exemptions while remaining a part of their school district. In addition, the state also added the distinction of school of innovations as well. While this is a very similar process, it is less involved on the paperwork and process for approval. However, its function is still basically the same; helping schools and districts relieve themselves of rules and regulations that will help them be more successful. While these are becoming more and more common in schools across the state, you will also notice that many districts are starting to add a virtual school component to their district. They are starting to see a need for these different avenues of education and beginning to adapt to their surroundings.

I suppose my point to this rambling post is that we have to continue to challenge conventional thinking to keep up with the current trends. There have been many detractors to the charter school or virtual school systems and how they work, but the truth is that they are here to stay. We run a serious risk of being passed by if we (public schools) do not begin to adapt to our surroundings instead of simply just hoping for different circumstances.

Mr. McClung

The Teachers Guild

The Teachers Guild is an interesting way for educators around the world to share and build new ideas and concepts in education. At the guild, 10 weeks projects are build using ideas from educators, gaining feedback from other educators, designing their concept or project, building prototypes, then experimenting with these in their instruction. This gives educators a platform to come up with innovative ways to find solutions for their everyone routines. The current project that is on display is, “How might we create rituals and routines that establish a culture of innovation in our classrooms and schools?” The “collaboration” that is and has taken place with this subject is extremely interesting and has helped me gain ideas and insights myself. I would highly suggest for everyone to stop by and check on the guild and contribute to the conversation.

Mr. McClung

Classroom Procedures & Chromebooks

The video above is a great resource for teachers when establishing first of the year procedures for using technology. This is a video that I will personally be sharing with my staff considering that we have a new flight of 200 Chromebooks that Woodland students will be using this year.

Mr. McClung

AVID @ Woodland

AVID LogoIn my current role as administrator at Woodland Jr. High, my involvement with AVID has totally changed. I went from being the first elective teacher at our school to now getting to be the administrator that works with the current elective teacher and program coordinator to ensure that we are maximizing the program for our students. The two Prezi’s that are embedded in this post are two materials that I will review with our teachers in our upcoming professional development. We will be discussing the program overview and the specifics of Cornell Note Taking with some of our teachers that are brand new to the program.

Mr. McClung

GEG Arkansas

GEG Chapter Logo - HortizontalI’m very proud to say that the Arkansas Chapter of Google Educator Groups is up and running. While this is still extremely early on in the process, I am working to help spread the word and recruit Arkansas educators to join our Arkansas GEG.

GEGs are independently run communities of educators who inspire and empower each other to meet the needs of students through technology both in the classroom and beyond. Via face to face meet-ups and online activities, GEGs provide a way for educators who are passionate about education and technology to meet like minded people and share, learn, and collaborate together.

I would like to invite fellow educators to join our group and make this a successful community for collaboration through Google Apps for Education.

Mr. McClung

Google for Education Arkansas Summit

ARSummit-new-header-bannerJust received excellent news this morning, I was approved to present at the Google for Education Arkansas Summit this fall in Conway, AR. This has been a year in the making for myself since I attended my first summit last year and because interested in pursuing training opportunities with Google Apps for Education. The conference will be November 14-15 at Conway High School and I cannot speak highly enough about the quality of the professional development. If you are in Arkansas, I would strongly encourage to come join us in November for a great professional development experience. For more information about registration, click here.

On another note, one more¬†project that I am pursuing is starting a Google Educator Group in Arkansas.¬†Google Educator Groups (GEG) are communities of educators who learn¬†and share new ideas with each other. There many GEG around the world and can serve as a valuable tool for educators. I was recently nominated to lead a GEG in Arkansas and am hoping that I am selected to get it up and going soon. I am very excited about both of these opportunities and can’t wait to continue working and growing with Google.

Mr. McClung