On Wednesday, we started our unit on rivers and navigation systems in social studies. Each student was given a navigation system to study, and were asked to find various information about their river or canal. Students were asked to include information about how the navigation system/canal was discovered/built, what the surrounding area is like (desert, urban, jungle, etc.), what it’s modern day use is, and random “fun facts”. Below is an excellent example of this project.

My students have responded to this exercise very well. Projects such as these help individualize the lesson and provides differentiated instruction for all of my students in my classroom. Below is a short reflection from one of my students about this project.

2 thoughts on “Navigation System Project”

1. This ties in nicely with our classroom’s big project over the past ten weeks which has been the Waikato River in Hamilton and the North Island of New Zealand – one of the tasks was compare and contrast the Waikato River to other Rivers around the world and the resources that are on here allow us to do that.
    Mr Webb and Room 8, Melville Intermediate, Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand.

2. Hello Class! I am in Dr. Strange’s educational media class at the University of South Alabama. I think it is great that you are keeping a class blog. It is a fun way to publish your work, a beneficial way to connect with other students and teachers, as well as, a way for your family and friends to follow what you are learning. I am 26, and I’m blogging for the first time in Dr. Strange’s class. I think it’s a good tool for sharing and exchanging info.

I think the rivers project is interesting. Did each of you present your presentation to the class? Rivers are fascinating to me. On the topic of fresh water, I recently watched a film called FLOW about the global water crisis. There was some material in it about the impact of damns upon some of the world’s rivers and their ecosystems. It was a very eye opening film and I highly recommend it. Thanks, and keep up the good work.