w

Students, I have already received a few blog post from you so far. While there has been some good work sumbitted so far I want to offer some suggestions while revising you post.

Appealing Title

Your title should reflect the information in your blog post, but should be short and catchy.

Bad Example: “Talking About Horse Breeding In Science”

Good Example: “Coming Down The Stretch…”

My second example tells the reader that this post has something to do with horse racing….without coming out and saying it. Remember, short, sweet, and catchy.

References

Blog post are different in the fact that there isn’t a text book way to reference your resources. A reference section does not fit into a post, but the best way to reference is to link back to your source….example:

I’ve got an idea: What if we went with that kid from Florida? Tiresome S-E-C! bravado receives yet another testosterone shot courtesy of Sports Illustrated, which comes out this week with its seventh Tebow cover and a feature by former LSU player John Ed Bradley on “The nation’s toughest conference.” An odd conclusion to reach after a weekend in which the cover boy had a pedestrian night, the home team in both of the conference’s biggest games failed to score a touchdown and another high-profile team entered full-fledged meltdown mode. But it’s their magazine. (Dr. Saturday, Yahoo! Sports)

Notice that every time the author referred to a specific event or story, he linked back to it. I have created a short screencast below that will show you how to link back using your blog.

Engage the Reader

enegage

Above is an  example of how to engage your reader right away. Notice that the author started out with an appealing picture to start his post. A good picture catches the eye and adds a visual to the test you are adding. In addition, it is important to explain what information your are passing on to the reader right away….just like writing a good introduction in short stories.

2 thoughts on “Revisions to Blog Post”

1. These are some great ways to get the reader involved. I love college football and the topic about Georgia’s head coach Mark Richt is perfect (especially after the blowout last week). To answer the question I believe Tommy Tuberville best represents Mark Richt’s doomed season at georgia. They both had great career’s at their Universities and both had a fall out year. I don’t believe Mark can hang after this year. WAR EAGLE!!

2. I like the idea of catchy title posts, but I find that I have many google hits on my blog posts that have the words people are looking for specifically. I would suggest you use a catchy title followed by a statement that tells exactly what the post is about. My example: “Coming Down The Stretch:Talking About Horse Breeding In Science” I think combining the two will both allow for creativity, but also help people find your post using the key words.