DSC00816In light of all the seismic activity we have had in the world lately, this week we took some time to better understand how earthquakes occur. On Thursday, we spent some time mapping the epicenter of the 1964 Great Alaskan Earthquake.

In order to locate an epicenter we must calculate the distance of a seismic recording station is from the epicenter by using the arrival times of waves. Once the students knew the distance of the epicenter from their three locations they were asked to make three circles using a compass with the radius of their circle equal to the distance from the epicenter. This following week we will continue discussing waves as we move into the nature of sound waves.

2 thoughts on “Locating Epicenters”

1. Hello Mr. McClung,

My name is Jessica Pierce, I found these extremely interesting how you calculated the epicenters of earthquakes. I’ve always found earthquakes interesting.

2. Hi Mr. McClung, My name is Samantha Pate and I am in Dr. Strange’s EDM 310 class. What a great way to get your students involved in a project. This is very interesting!! What a great experiment for the students to do together. I love it!!