Mr. McClung has asked me to write a letter on the following subject: A hot topic in educational technology today is the use of ipods in the classroom. Write a persuasive letter to your school administration stating your opinion about the topic.

Dear Administration

My name is Jared. I am in eighth grade at Woodland Junior High School and I have a few ideas that would increase progress and reduce price for our school. I think we, the students at Woodland, should be allowed to use our iphone and ipod touches in class.

For one thing, lots of students already have one of these things. Because of that, the school wouldn’t lose money from buying laptops or from repairing laptops. If an ipod or iphone is broken, it is the owner’s personal fee, and the school doesn’t have to worry about squeezing money out of the student, or about replacing the machine.

If we were allowed to use these things, we would all work better. Since we know all about them and know how to use them just as well, if not better than the teachers, we wouldn’t waste any time trying to figure out how to use them. Not to mention, no time would be wasted getting the information. Since there are thousands upon thousands of apps, we can use almost unlimited sources, instead of just regular old wikipedia.

Thank you for your contribution to our schools, and have a great day.

Sincerely

Jared C.

One thought on “Ipods in Class?”

1. Jared,

I am a student at the University of South Alabama majoring in secondary education/math. I’m enrolled in a class called EDM310 Technology in Education. It is because of that class that I and my classmates have had the privilege of also being educated by Mr. McClung. And so here I am, reading your blog post.

I wanted to comment because I feel your letter is very well written. It is convincing and at the least worthy of a meeting to discuss it with the administration. You’ll write many letters in the years to come to make requests and you’re on a great track to write so others will learn and listen. You’ve given me some ideas of what I would write if requesting the same. Your letter is most convincing because it comes from a student who would directly benefit from being allowed to use your iPhone or iTouch in class.

Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing your letter.

Jackie Gorski
    University of South Alabama
    EDM310
    Secondary Education/Math
    my blog : http://gorskijacquelineedm310.blogspot.com