RefractionsAfter discussing colors and reflections, today we took on the task of bending light…in other words, refractions. Today students used a variety of acrylic shapes and shined light through them to find out what effect each shape had on beams of light. In the picture above this group has a set up that includes shining two colors of light through two 45-90-45 triangular prisms. In this particular set up, students see that the the first prism inverts the light rays when compared to the way it enters vs. the way it exits the first prism. Once a second prism is put into action, it then inverts the rays again returning the rays back to their “normal” status. This whole process of refracting and inverting is exactly how we are able to see an image using binoculars.

Tomorrow, we will not be performing a lab due to some necessary CAP (guidance) work. We will pick back up on Friday as we wrap our week up.

3 thoughts on “Bending Light”

1. Very good information to know. I never understood how binoculars work and now I do. I am a student at the University of South Alabama and for a class assignment I had to comment on your blog. This post was very informative.

2. Hi, I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I was assigned this blog and all I can say is…Wow! Thank you for posting this! Reading this and looking at the picture was very interesting! I would have loved to be in this class doing this with the students. I would have learned so much! Thank you again!