Mr. McClung had everyone in our class do a presentation on famous celebrities from the great state of Arkansas. These people range from famous singers like Conway Twitty and Jimmie Driftwood, to Daissy Gaston Bates from the Little Rock Nine. And me being the baseball fanatic I am, did my presentation on the BEAST of a pitcher, Dizzy Dean.

On January 16th, 1910, the biggest thing to probably ever happen in Lucas, Arkansas happened….Jay Hanna “Dizzy” Dean was born. Not much is known about the education that Dizzy went through, but who needs education when you can throw a baseball as well as he could? The answer to that, is nobody! After growing up in present day Yell county Arkansas, he became a total phenom in baseball. Excelling at everything that even remotely related to pitching.

Dizzy was a totally dominate pitcher. He was a force on the mound, that had perfected everything about pitching. He was one of a kind. He ended up winning TONS of awards, such as;
-Led the National League in strikeouts for four straight seasons
-Led the National League in complete games for four straight seasons
-Led the National League in shut outs..twice
-Him and his brother Paul “Daffy” Dean both combined to win all four games of the 1934 World Series (two games a piece)
-Four time 20 game winner
-150 career wins
-30 career saves
-Was the last pitcher to win 30 games in a single season until 1968
-MVP in 1934
-Hall of Famer
Dizzy Dean was an absolute MONSTER on the mound, and his career would have been even greater if it wasn’t shortened by injuries. He is a very unknown player, but he definetly shouldn’t be. He was a strikeout machine and was scared of no one. He is a legend, and always will be.

Andrew P.

3 thoughts on “Legend Under the Radar”

1. Dizzy Dean played majority of his career for St. Louis but also spent some time playing for the Cubs….and he is a hall of fame pitcher as well.

1. I must admit I’ve never heard of “Dizzy” before, but your description of him was wonderful! I can tell you love baseball, and I’m glad that you recognize that there’s more to education than just book learning. Great job!