IMG_0081To conclude our school year, on Tuesday we began our class discussions about soil. We looked at the various layers and materials that go into soil and talked about what exactly makes good soil. After speaking about this for some time, I then challenged my students to create their own soil that would provide the best growing environment for growing grass. Students were given the choice of topsoil, humus, sand, and gravel to construct their their soil however they pleased.IMG_0082Once students had constructed their soil cups it was then time to plant their seeds. Students were once again given free regein to plant their seeds however they wanted. Many students choose to plant their seeds set into the soil while some, like the one pictured above, decided to plant the seeds by simply placing them on the top of their soil.IMG_0088When it was all said and done we ended up with a wide variety of soil cups that had various layers with no two being the same. With one and half weeks left in school this activity will serve as our end of the year competition to see who can grow the most grass…stay tuned to watch our grass grow.

One thought on “Rub Some Dirt On It”

1. Hi Mr. McClung,
    My name is Ashley Johnson and I am part of Dr. Strange’s EDM310 class at the University of South Alabama. I was assigned to read this blog as part of an assignment.

This is such a great project for the students. It teaches them how plants grow in certain soil, as well as different depths. I know the kids will enjoy it. When I was in school i remember doing a project similar to this, but we used Lima beans and placed them in different parts of the room to see which one grew the best. For example, we put one by the window, one on the filing cabinet on the opposite side of the room, and one in a dark closet. Of all the projects I did in school this one has stuck with me through the years.

Thanks
    My Blog

Class Blog