3821635752_e2d45efab0_bWith less than two weeks left until we start another school year, it’s time for me to start giving the ole’ class blog a little jump start to get ready for the new school year…and what better way to do so than to talk about change. While I will be staying put at Woodland for another year, there will be plenty of differences this year compared to last year.

• Science Teacher, No Mas – For the first time in my career I will not be teaching science this year. I have taught science for two years now, and it has really been a useful gimmick for my blog but now I will be hanging the lab coat up for at least one year.
  • Making history – Since my services are no longer needed as a science teacher, that meas that I have to pick up some additional course to teach…and this year that will be social studies/history. My history classes are being doubled this year as I move from 2 sections to 4 sections taught, and I’m really looking forward to it. Although science has been my “thing” over the past couple of years, I really feel like I’m a better history teacher than science…we will see.
  • Back in The Saddle – When I first got into teaching I did so because I loved to coach athletics…mainly football. But as some of you may know, last year I took a year off from my coaching obligations so that I could focus on my own school and my career. Well this year I’m back coaching but not quite in the capacity that I have in the past. I’m coaching cross country this year and it is the first time for me to coach this sport. We have already been practicing this summer and have really gotten off to a good start…updates to come.
  • I Love Technology – This year that “love” will really be put to the test as I will be taking my first shot at teaching a technology course. I will be teaching one section of  computer applications this year and of all the changes I have this year this one probably scares me the most. I have always used tech tools in class to help accomplish task, but I have never had to use tech tools to teach a curriculum about technology…it will definitely provide obstacles for me this year but it should be a fun course to teach and I’m looking forward to it.
  • Making a Name for Ourselves – This summer I decided to make a class blog a little more legit by buying a domain name. You can now find our blog by using this address, http://mcclungsworld.com. While you can still access our site by using the old domain name, if you don’t use the new domain name for your bookmarks or RSS feeders it will not update your readers.

The one thing that will not be changing this year is the fact that our blog will be in full swing and delivering class updates, videos, writings, and other “cool stuff” throughout the year. The first cay of school for us here in Fayetteville is August 19th and everyone out there can look forward to more updates leading up the start of school.  A new school year is around the corner…get pumped up.

4 thoughts on “Fresh Start”

1. It is exciting setting up a new blog for a new year and my students and I will be following you. It seems a bit strange as we are in our third term of the year.

2. Mr McClung
    I really look forward to seeing your students work this year, I have to say with anticipation and you listing your personal changes for this year, that you are going to have a great, great year and I am thrilled to be following you for your educational journey in 2010/11.
    Mr Webb and Room 8, Melville Intermediate School, Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand.

3. I hope this next school year is great for you, Mr. McClung! Lots of changes. I’ll be checking in occasionally. Best of luck! I know you love technology and I’m sure it’ll show. I’m glad I had you as a science teacher while I could. Have a great year.