Lesson One – JDRF Walk for a CureIMG_5846

My eldest niece, Avery.

If you are a regular to our class blog, by now I’m sure that you are aware that I’m a sucker for a good fundraiser. In addition to supporting the Susan Komen Foundation, I also support the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation…the reason why, because my eldest niece was diagnosed several years ago with juvenile diabetes. Her name is Avery, she is the young lady in the picture above. Even since being diagnosed she has never flinched; she has never been upset or discouraged about the hand that was dealt to her, but instead she has become stronger and has joined the cause to find a cure.

This year I decided to get involved as a teacher not just as an uncle. This year my students will be running in the 5k benefit for JDRF and we are also be acquiring donations. I would like to encourage everyone to get involved and join us on September 18th at the University of Arkansas for the annual walk for the cure. It will be a great event benefiting a wonderful cause, so join myself and the Woodland Cross Country by clicking on the link in the previous sentence.

Lesson Two -Football Season is Here

I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty excited that football season is finally here…more importantly college football season is here. There is nothing quite like the pageantry and excitement that is associated with the sport, just thinking about tailgates, marching bands, fight songs, and calling those hogs just gets me all geeked up…and I’m sure that I’m not the only person in our little sleepy college town that is excited about the start of the football season.

Lesson Three -Freak Out Friday

In the first couple of days of school, my students and I were hard at work developing expectations for each other. I gave students my short list of expectations and they gave me a long list of expectations for what kind of teacher they wanted. Most of these request were pretty standard issue, but one above all stood out…I received a request from my 4th period students that each Friday be deemed “Freakout Friday”. This was an unusual request to say the least but my students were able to sell me on this idea. What actually qualifies as a freakout differs from week to week, but it usually involves 5-10 seconds of my students going crazy and kinda letting off some steam…why not, I know when I was 13 or 14  I sure could have used a freakout Friday every once in a while.

Lesson Four – Labor Day Holiday

This Monday we will not be in school for the Labor Day Holiday. Students will be receiving a well deserved rest after a long first two and half weeks to the start of school. You can expect more blogging come next Tuesday when we return from break. Have a good one.

One thought on “Lessons Learned”