Lesson One – Teaching is Exhausting

DSC01016For the past 5 weeks I have been fortunate enough to work with Ms. Simonek…Ms. Simonek is my intern and has essentially taken my class over the past few weeks. This means I spend a lot of time hanging out in various rooms throughout the school working on my internship portfolio and other random tasks. This past Thursday Ms. Simonek had to return to her college for a meeting, leaving me to teach my students for the first time in about 4 weeks. Upon the completion of my day yesterday, I was utterly and completely exhausted. It has become very clear to me that I have become to accustom to having an intern and the end result is that it has made me completely lazy. So since this next week is her last week with us, I think my time will be best spent running and lifting weights to ensure that I’m in top physical condition for full return to the classroom.

Lesson Two – Wrestlin’ Talk

Girl Wrestler DefaultThe past couple of days my students have been debating a topic of interest in class. The topic involves a state wrestling tournament in Iowa, in which a girl was matched against a boy in the first round of the tournament. The boy in the tournament forfeited the match claiming that it was against his religious beliefs to wrestle a woman. I turned this topic over to my kids and we discussed to different aspects about this issue; A – If you were the girl in the match, how would it make you feel that your opponent forfeited? B – If you were the boy, what would you have done in the same situation and why?

Answers from my students varied and no common consensus was reached. So the question goes to you, what’s your take on the whole situation?

Lesson Three – Track/Cross Country Update

XC Logo WhiteSpring is in the air and it’s start to start running again. Just a reminder for students, if you are planning on running track this year tryouts for boys will be Monday during athletics or at 3:45, and girl’s tryouts will be held on Wednesday of next week. Also, everyone interested in running cross country will need to attend the tryouts on March 1-4. Hoping for a big turn-out this year in order to continue to build-up our team.

Have a great weekend.