Coleman and Connor get their Spanish infomercial on…excuse the sound being off.

Yesterday marked our annual World Language Festival here at Woodland Jr. High. Each year our foreign language classes (French, Spanish, and German) put on a huge event in which the students present their projects that created. Their projects reflect an aspect of the culture of a country whose native language is the one of what they are currently studying.

Projects included sports teams, traditions, clothing, food, and of course live performances.

A couple of German gnomes provide some intermission entertainment…or something like that.

Ms. Lefler and Ms. Barron’s Spanish students sing Hero by Enrique Inglesias.

The wide variety of presentations and projects that all the students had really made it an interesting evening. We had a huge turn out from the public and it was great to see all the kids get an opportunity to display their knowledge in a public setting such as this festival.

12 thoughts on “World Language Festival”

1. I am Sarah Nell York in Dr. Strange’s EDM 310 class. This clip by Coleman and Connor was hilarious. The ShamWow commercial remade had my attention the entire time and kept me laughing. I think this is so awesome that your class does different things for the World Language Festival. Were Coleman and Connor assigned this or did they think of it as their own? This kept me rolling the whole way through! Thanks for sharing this!! I would love to repost this!
    Sarah Nell York

2. Hi Mr. McClung,

My name is Brittni Sasser and I am a student at the University of South Alabama in Dr. Strange’s EDM 310 class. The idea of showing the students projects and work through a World Festival event sounds like a wonderful plan. I was assigned to watch and post about German gnomes. They seemed like they had a great time working together on their intermission part of the event. I believe the way you get your students to work in teams and groups is really a great teaching tool.

If you would like to check out my blog, click here!

3. Hi! My name is Raley and I am one of Dr. Strange’s EDM 310 students at the University of South Alabama and was assigned to comment on the German Gnomes! I thoroughly enjoyed and was extremely entertained by their song and dance. I couldn’t quite understand the words due to the loud clapping from the audience but hey! at least they were clapping! Seemed so fun and I wish I could’ve been there to experience the World Language Festival for some interesting learning and fun memories! Great Job Gnomes!

4. My name is Jessica Sanders and I am an elementary education major at the University of South Alabama.I really enjoyed reading your blog post. It reminded me of an international food festival. I can tell that the kids enjoyed putting the pictures and videos together also. Keep up the good work!!

5. Hello,
    I am from Dr. Strange’s EDM 310 class and was assigned to this post. It looks like these students are having a lot of fun doing this. The first video reminded me of when I was in junior high doing commercials. We just did not have a blog to post them on like this. The singing was great too. I believe they picked a song that was fun for everyone.

6. Hi!
    I am a student in Dr. Strange’s EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama! A World Heritage Day is such a great idea and I think it is wonderful so many students participated. I love creativity and I believe students learn the best by having fun and enjoying new knowledge. I watched the video of Ms. Lefler and Ms. Barron’s Spanish students singing Hero by Enrique Inglesias. This was very entertaining and made me want to be there. I love that song and I think it was perfectly done!
    Visit My Class Blog!

7. Hi, I am Mandy Davis a student at the University of South Alabama and in EDM310. I was assigned to Coleman and Conner’s video. I was so funny and entertaining. They are very creative. I love that your students are having such a great time learning. I know that growing up the lessons I learned that I actually retained were not learned from sitting still watching a chalkboard. They were from doing fun activities much like this.

8. Hi, my name is Chelsea Krail and I’m a student in Dr. Strange’s EDM310 class. I was assigned to watch the video about the pair of German gnomes.

The performance was great! The crowd seemed to enjoy it too. It looked like a lot of fun.

9. My name is Annie Dubroc and I am a student at the University of South Alabama in Dr. Strange’s EDM 310 class. I was assigned to watch the German Gnomes. This was fun to watch. Its nice to see that they were having fun. I like the beards and hats too!

Annie Dubroc

10. Hi,
    My name is Rachel Saucier and I am also from Dr. Strange’s EDM310 class at the University of South Alabama. I must say that I really enjoyed the ShamWow video that was done by Coleman and Connor. I think this is a great way to get the students excited about the use of foreign languages, I wish my high school would of participated in an activity like this. I love your blog thank you for sharing with us!

11. Hi,
    My name is Molly dekin. I am a student from EDM-310 at the University of South Alabama. What a great idea. The students have some many creative and inspirational ideas to learn a foreign language. The slide show I watched incorporated so many countires. The students were able to learn so much about the countries they were studying. They got to sample the food, learn the language and experience their traditions. What a great experience for them.
    Molly Dekin

12. Hi Mr. McClung!
    I am a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. I get the pleasure of commenting on the video of Ms. Lefler and Ms. Barron’s students singing “Hero” in Spanish. That was very impressive! They did a very good job and sounded great! I wish our school would have had a World Language Festival. That seems like it is so much fun!