Students, today take some time to talk about James O’Keefe and his “Project Veritas”. This has been a much talked about topic in the news here of late due to investigative reporting of various institutions in the US. Today we will discuss the impact and ethical value of the work that his is performing.

Mr. McCluung

3 thoughts on ““Investigative Reporting””

1. Hey my name is Brittany Hamilton and I am currently a student at the University of South Alabama and I am taking EDM 310. I was assigned to read this post and I found it really interesting. I had heard about this on TV but I never fully paid attention to know what actually happened. After reading and watching this video, I was in shock.
    I think O’Keefe is doing a remarkable job about uncovering these hidden secrets. I always wondered why the media doesn’t go after groups and people like this but they will jump at the first celebrity scandal. I know that O’Keefe lied to find out this information but he did what he had to do to uncover bigger lies. I’m not saying it was right because I honestly don’t know if I would do it but he did what he felt needed to be done. Thank you for this insight!

2. Hi, my name is Kayla Nelson and I am a student in Dr. Strange’s EDM310 class at the University of South Alabama. I think that even if what O’Keefe did was unethical, he still had grounds to uncover what he did. He is right, people aren’t going to show their true colors during an interview with the press or while giving a speech. O’Keefe did what he had to do to unveil what these public officials truly believe. I will be covering your post in my class blog, a> href=”http://nelsonkaylaedm310.blogspot.com/”>My Blog

3. My name is Brandin Brosh and I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I am currently enrolled in Dr. Strange’s EDM310 course and was assigned to read your blog. I think this is a very interesting and highly debatable subject. In my opinion, O’Keefe didn’t do anything wrong. These political officials never say how they really feel on camera or on interview so how else would you ever find out the truth? It’s like when you catch someone in a lie and they get defensive and blame you. These are supposed to be honest people and there is no excuse for him to say those things. It’s not O’keefe’s fault for catching him. It is his job to catch these people in lies just as it is the public officials’ job to represent NPR or any other organization well, which obviously was not being done here.