Today in class we started off on our new unit of study by focusing on the Renaissance period. The Renaissance was a period of transition were people began to take on a humanist mentality where they would change their focus from being solely focused on the church and religion to a more human or real life focus where people began to put more emphasis on the life as opposed to the afterlife. In order to illustrate this shift in thinking during the Renaissance Period, today we took time to examine art work from the middle ages and the Renaissance. Students were asked to view the slideshow that is shown above, which required them to find evidence in each painting of whether the painting was from the middle ages or the Renaissance. Tomorrow we will continue our conversations about the Renaissance as well start to introduce our revolution unit.

Mr. McClung

3 thoughts on “Renaissance and Humanism”

1. Mr. McClung’s class,
    My name is Sara Stewart. I am in Dr. Strange’s EDM class at USA. I have read several of your posts on this class blog and just looked around. I really enjoyed reading them and think it’s great how you are engaging your students in history. I really wish technology was more advanced when I was in school. We barely had computers but mostly typewriters. I can’t wait to become an educator to engage my students learning with technology. To really appreciate and have a deeper meaning of the Renaissance period in history, one must take into account of the art work that was created as a sense of expression. I think it is awesome that you shared with your students the work during this period. It adds more meaning and helps them truly understand what transpired during this time. I really enjoyed history in school and wished I had an educator like you who engaged their students. By doing this you will get much more participation from them. It makes them interested in the subject and more focused on the material. My blog can be viewed at Sara Stewart’s blog. I’ll be back to look around. I definitely like the approach you are taking with your students and have added you to my PLN. Thanks!!!

2. Hello,
    My name is Erica Savage. I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoy reading your blog posts. I think the slideshow for this post is very useful in helping students distinguish the differences between the middle ages and the Renaissance. Great post!

3. Hello Mr. McClung and Class! I am Dominique Spence. I currently attend the University of South Alabama where I am in an educational media class called EDM 310. In this class we are learning how to utilize technology for learning so that when we are teachers we incorporate it in our daily lessons. After looking throughout your blog and focusing on this blog in particular I feel you and the students have done a great job of using your blog to make learning easier and fun. One can learn history while learning how to make presentations, blogs, iMovies, etc. Due to the way things have changed over time presenting the Renaissance and Humanism is fitting with how students are learning today. They have many computer skills that they acquire from just entertaining themselves with technology and now they are allowed to broadcast those talents and learn the curriculum as well.